You invest significant resources in recruiting and retaining top-level executives to guide your company toward growth and greater profitability. For those executives who accept a relocation assignment, transporting their household goods must be handled with the utmost care and much more detailed planning than would be required for a more typical relocation.
Providing top quality services that address their special needs can smooth the relocation process and bring your executive back to full productivity far more quickly than if he or she had to micro-manage the process; creating worry, stress and distractions from day
What to Do
Simply arranging for a moving company to transport your executive's household goods isn't sufficient. You need to understand how the company handles executive relocations, and then thoroughly vet the company to assure it's up to the job. For example:
- Determine if the moving company has written policies and procedures for relocating top executives. Obtain a copy and review it to determine what services are included for executive moves that differ from more routine relocations.
- Does the mover have a dedicated team of highly-rated employees specially trained to handle executive relocations? How did those top-rated people obtain their ratings? What measures were used to determine which employees are best suited to providing quality service for executive moves?
- How does the moving company handle quality control issues? Do they have a 24x7 single point of contact for customer service?
- Does the moving company offer a Service Level Agreement (SLA)? What components are included in the SLA? For example, do they have sufficient resources (trucks, people and scheduling systems) to assure the loading of household goods will be completed on the date and time promised, without compromise?
- Is an On Site Manager (OSM) designated for the move? If so, does he or she oversee the entire household goods shipment? Is the OSM on-site at the destination to provide continuous supervision of the unloading process?
A Better Solution
Household goods shipment is one of the most important facets of an executive relocation. If your HR department doesn't have deep experience in such relocations, it is possible – perhaps likely – that you'll hit “speed bumps” along the way that can lead to loss of productivity, dissatisfaction with the entire relocation process and negative impact on your company. Instead, you may wish to consider outsourcing the household goods transportation process to a firm that specializes in working with top executive relocations.