|Brian Shea, accepting his GMS certification
from Laura and Peggy from WERC.
Since Worldwide ERC® began the GMS® certification program in 2004; over 3,850 people have earned specialist designations through global mobility training. These certified professionals live and work in 58 different countries around the globe.
In 2010, Worldwide ERC® introduced the Senior Global Mobility Specialist (SGMS®) designation for those who have already earned certification as a GMS®. Since inception of this designation, almost 150 professionals have achieved SGMS® certification.
Why GMS® Certification Is Important
To maintain your GMS® certification one needs to complete the continuing education (CE) courses every three years. The GMS® program targets training and education for global mobility requirements, which can be much more complex than domestic relocations.
Having this designation or working with someone with this designation can help in the following circumstances:
- You are an HR professional administering international relocation policies and programs.
- You function as overseer and manager of global relocations that are administered by a third-party professional relocation firm.
- You advise, consult or facilitate buying, selling or legal issues involved with international real estate transactions.
- You have responsibilities for effective management of global tax issues and foreign taxation differences that affect transferees.
- You are responsible for satisfying immigration requirements for employees relocating to foreign countries.
The GMS® Certification Review Board helps ensure that this program curriculum remains up-to-date and current. This means you’ll be working with people who always receive pertinent information, whether they are pursuing their GMS® certification or the continuing education credits to keep their designation. Working with a certified GMS® is an important advantage to your transferees. Whether relocating domestically or internationally, transferees will appreciate the benefits of their certified knowledge.